8th Annual Dorothy Awards Quickly Approaching!Published Feb 6, 2010
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
This year’s Dorothy Awards – the New Haven Pride Center’s eighth annual – is shaping up to be our biggest and best yet. Not only are we nearing “sold out” status, but we are lucky enough to have some of the most exciting auction items in the history of the event for attendees to bid on.
I am forbidden from giving away all of our secrets here, but here are just a few of the items included in the evening’s auction.
This generous package includes:
- Use of the historic meeting house of the United Church on the Green (UCC), on the corner of Temple and Elm Streets in downtown New Haven, for a wedding in 2010 or 2011 (as per the Church’s availability)
- Services of the Church’s senior minister, Rev. John MacIver Gage (a former Dorothy Awards honoree himself)
- Services of the Church’s organist (coordination of outside musicians may require an additional fee)
- Services of soprano soloist Kathryn Thomas
- Custodial and clean-up services
- Dance lesson for two and Friday night party at Fred Astaire Dance Studio in Hamden
The value of the entire package is $2,000. With same-sex marriage now legal in Connecticut, this is an ideal way to celebrate your own wedding, possibly save some money in the process, and support the New Haven Pride Center, all at the same time.
Yale Art Package
Included in this generous package are:
- A private tour of the Yale University Art Gallery’s special exhibition, “Eero Saarinen: Shaping the Future” given by John Stuart Gordon, the Benjamin Attmore Hewitt Assistant Curator of American Decorative Arts (tour to be scheduled at a mutually agreed-upon time during the Gallery’s open hours)
- ‘Members of the Yale Art Museums’ one-year dual/family membership, representing the Yale University Art Gallery and the Yale Center for British Art
- Yale Art Gallery Catalogues: Art for Yale: A History of the Yale University Art Gallery; Art for Yale: Collecting for a New Century; Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness: American Art from the Yale University Art Gallery; and Livable Modernism: Interior Decorating and Design During the Great Depression
This package is valued at $365, and is sure to be snapped up quickly.
Enjoy a $400 value “Family Portrait Package” from Connecticut-based photographer S.M. Cooper, owner of S.M. Cooper Photography, llc. Cooper has won Connecticut Photographer of the Year seven times, and has photographed a number of national and Connecticut politicians and luminaries.
Live Music Package
Jennifer Taylor, Connecticut-based singer-songwriter and friend has generously donated a two-hour acoustic performance (anywhere in Connecticut) and a copy of her latest CD, All I Am. The value of this package is $400.
In addition to the items listed here, you can expect to find items to fit every taste and budget: restaurant gift certificates, concert and performance tickets, jewelry, professional services and more unique items and surprises. Be sure to bring your checkbooks and credit cards; you will not want to miss the opportunity to bid on these fantastic items and packages. And if you have yet to purchase your tickets to the event, you can do so now. Tickets are (really!) going fast; don’t miss out.