Every year at the Dorothy Awards Dinner, the New Haven Pride Center honors incredible LGBTQ+ Nutmeggers that are having a huge impact and creating positive change for Connecticut’s LGBTQ+ community. From organizers and activists on the front lines of the fight against HIV/AIDS and for civil rights for our community, to artists and performers who showcase our community’s creativity, the Dorothy Awards honorees are shining stars for LGBTQ+ visibility.
Honorees are selected from a pool of community nominations, with the goal of celebrating folks from throughout Connecticut, and our list of past honorees includes folks from every corner of our state. Please join us for the 17th year of our Awards Dinner on Saturday, March 7th.
All proceeds of the Dorothy Awards support the important work of the New Haven Pride Center which includes our five focus areas; creating a safe space for case management, support services, and resource sharing; social programming and bringing people together; educational activities, awareness building, and youth programming; arts, culture and humanities events; and advocacy for the community. Additionally a portion of the Dorothy Awards specifically support the New Haven Pride Center’s Scholarship Fund.
Meet Our 17th Honorees
On behalf of our Dinner Chair, Joshua O’Connell, and our Executive Director, Patrick Dunn, we are proud to announce our 17th Annual Dorothy Award honorees:
- Nadine Ruff, MSW, transgender rights and HIV/AIDS advocate
- Gretchen Raffa, reproductive justice advocate and Director Public Policy at Planned Parenthood
- Ricky Mestre, multimedia artist and founder of Greater Bridgeport Pride
- Suzanne Kachmar, Greater Bridgeport Pride founder and artist
- OutCT, LGBTQ+ nonprofit focusing on visibility and human rights in New London
- Joe Grabarz, pioneering gay elected official, LGBTQ+ and HIV/AIDS advocate – A Special Lifetime Award
- Mel Cordner, educator and advocate for queer youth – Rising Star Award
Read more about our honorees here.
Check Out Photos from Last Year
Thank You to Our Sponsors
Joshua O’Connell and Kiki Lucia are back for a 3rd year hosting our annual event. Read more.
Social Media Hosts
Social media influencer Jean Michael Coronado joins us as our social media host for the 17th Annual Awards Dinner. Read more.
Entertainment at the 17th Annual Dorothy Awards includes performances by Miss Gay New Haven 2019 Mz October May Lay, Robin Fierce, the Imperial Sovereign Court of All Connecticut, and Suzanne Sheridan and the One Night Stand Band. Read more.